eleventh January 2022
Minister of State for Business, Employment and Retail, Damien English TD, launches the Health and Safety Authority’s new Strategy Statement 2022 – 2024
- The HSA’s Strategy Statement 2022 – 2024 units out continued objectives to advertise, regulate and affect the areas throughout its broad and diverse mandate.
- The Strategy Statement highlights key objectives in tackling present and rising challenges and alternatives in Ireland’s workplaces together with the introduction of distant/hybrid working, developments in know-how and the inexperienced financial system, the ‘gig economy’, and the actual wants of weak employees and migrant teams.
- Through the elevated funding supplied by Government the Authority is establishing a brand new division to offer additional emphasis on occupational well being hazards and dangers, together with these related to psychosocial and ergonomic dangers, and publicity to chemical and organic brokers.
- The Strategy Statement units out the continued improvement of sturdy alliances and networks with EU and worldwide colleagues while additionally adapting our longstanding working relationship with UK and Northern Ireland colleagues as we reply to the adjustments led to by the UK exit from the EU.
- As the EU implements its formidable Chemicals Strategy for Sustainability in direction of a Toxic-Free Environment, the Authority shall be main the Irish enter by its nationwide competent authority position in addition to its membership of key EU Commission and European Chemicals Agency committees.
The Minister of State for Business, Employment and Retail, Damien English TD, has right now, January eleventh, launched the Health and Safety Authority’s new Strategy Statement for 2022 – 2024. The new Strategy units out the Authority’s continued objectives to advertise, regulate and affect the tradition of security and well being within the office.
The Health and Safety Authority has a large and diverse mandate together with appearing because the nationwide physique with duty for shielding all employees nationwide from work-related incidents, accidents and in poor health well being. It additionally acts because the market surveillance authority for chemical substances and industrial merchandise and protects all residents from the dangers arising from the use of chemical substances. The Authority gives the nationwide accreditation service by the Irish National Accreditation Body (INAB).
Launching the brand new HSA Strategy Statement, Minster Damien English TD, said:
“This new strategy clearly sets out the HSA’s priorities and goals whilst taking into account the ongoing challenges that workers and organisations, including the Authority, will face over the next three years. These include emerging from the COVID-19 public health pandemic, dealing with the continued fallout from the UK exit from the EU and addressing new ways of working. The strategy is also responding to the increasing use of technology in the workplace and the challenges and opportunities this can present in keeping our workplaces safe”.
“The Government recognises the importance of the wide and varied role of the HSA and I look forward to working with the Authority to support and enable it to meet its vision of healthy, safe and productive lives and enterprises over the course of this strategy”.
To coincide with the Strategy Statement 2022-2024 the Authority has printed a Programme of Work which particulars the important thing priorities for 2022. In the yr forward, the Authority will proceed to concentrate on high-risk sectors and hazards which trigger fatalities, incidents, accidents and in poor health well being, reminiscent of falling from heights and the hazards of working with equipment. In addition, it’ll emphasise the necessity to handle occupational well being hazards, particularly these related to psychosocial and ergonomic dangers, and publicity to chemical and organic brokers.
Looking ahead there are additionally new challenges, together with the affect of the pandemic in accelerating the transfer to distant/hybrid working and the continued progress of the ‘gig economy’ in Ireland. The technique additionally highlights the actual wants of weak employees and migrant teams.
In presenting this new technique and the Authority’s Programme of Work for 2022, Dr Sharon McGuinness, Chief Executive of the Health and Safety Authority, stated:
“Throughout the implementation of our new Strategy Statement and our annual Programmes of Work, the Authority will be setting out to achieve tangible outcomes in occupational safety and health (OSH), accreditation, chemicals, and market surveillance. The key to a successful and productive economy and workforce is a commitment to safer and healthier working lives for all.”
“The Authority remains focused on the challenges facing today’s workplaces and enterprises, but is also looking ahead to the future where we see the introduction of new technology and the increased focus on climate action and chemicals sustainability, bringing benefits to occupational safety and health. The Authority will also remain committed to offering enterprises, employers and employees a range of tools and supports to enable them to meet their statutory obligations and ensuring they keep themselves and their workplaces safe.”
The HSA technique launched right now is the sixth technique assertion offered by the Authority and was developed in collaboration with key stakeholders and by public session. It was developed with the current and future situations of workplaces and the wants of enterprises throughout Ireland in thoughts.
Tom Coughlan, Chairperson of the Health and Safety Authority, stated on presenting the Strategy Statement for 2022-2024:
“Setting out the goals and key objectives of this Strategy Statement highlights the importance of partnership and collaboration and how it continues to be at the forefront of how we promote compliance. As a tripartite Board, with representatives from employee and employer stakeholders as members, we recognise the importance of constructive and co-operative engagement in meeting the goal of safe and healthy workplaces for all and we encourage employers and employees to continue to engage and work with the Authority in achieving this.”
To obtain and learn in full please go to the HSA web site